We've scaled back our activity. Find out more here: http://active-listener.blogspot.co.nz/2016/08/a-public-service-announcement-from.html
The Active Listener is dedicated to helping deserving musicians find a larger audience so we would love to review or feature your latest album or E.P. Please be aware that we are not a commercial website. All content is written during our limited spare time for no financial compensation. We all have families and worklife or study to work around so please be aware of this and adjust your expectations accordingly - we can't cover everything, and reviews won't appear instantly for what we do cover. Due to the amount of time it takes to get to know an album for review purposes, we're also going to begin sharing some new releases that we like purely as links, without casting a critical eye over them. Whether an album receives a review or link coverage is entirely up to our discretion.
Here are a few things to consider which will increase your chances of being featured on the Active Listener:
- Due to lack of time we currently only accept submissions in vinyl and CD formats for review.
- Be aware of the styles of music that we cover. We operate within a very narrow niche. No matter how good your music is, if it doesn't fit within the realms of psych / folk / prog / Hauntology it won't be featured.
- What we choose to cover (or not cover) is purely a matter of our personal tastes and limited time available.
- Don't be pushy. We'll review what you've sent in if we like it, and if time allows. Sending us multiple e-mails or follow up e-mails to check whether we've received /
listened to your submission is time consuming for us to respond to, and will almost guarantee that we cover something else instead. We're much less likely to cover something if we feel like we're pressured into reviewing it. If we do feature something that you have submitted, we will definitely be in touch to let you know, either by tagging you on Facebook or e-mailing directly.
- Including a press-release or a one sheet with band / release info also increases your chance of being featured.
- No cassettes please - we know they're cool, but we don't have anything to play them on.
- Even if we don't have time to review your submission, we may have room to feature a track on the next Active Listener Sampler, so please let us know whether you are keen for this. If so, please supply digital promo which must be downloadable - preferably with a streaming link to check out as well. This can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- We don't often have time to reply to e-mails. We only have a limited amount of time to work on the Active Listener between work, family and other commitments and we would rather use this time to write content for the website. If you've sent your promo to us, we've most likely got it. Sit tight.
- Reviews don't happen overnight. We probably have 30 other things that
we've committed to doing first, so turnover
from receiving promo to publishing a review is usually 4-8 weeks.
Physical media should be sent to:
The Active Listener
34 Duppa St
or get in touch for a physical address for a specific writer if you have a preference.
- If you have a limited budget and can only afford to send out physical promo if a review is guaranteed, e-mail us at email@example.com stating this, with a streaming link which we can quickly check out first, and we'll get back to you to let you know whether you should get something in the post to us.
Thanks! We look forward to hearing from you.